Saturday 29 August 2009

Pomp and Glory

Pomp
1. Dignified or magnificent display; splendor: the solemn pomp of a military funeral.
2. Vain or ostentatious display. See Synonyms at display
                        AND
Glory
1. Great honour, praise, or distinction accorded by common consent; renown.
2. Something conferring honour or renown.
3. A highly praiseworthy asset: Your wit is your crowning glory.
4. Adoration, praise, and thanksgiving offered in worship.
5. Majestic beauty and splendor; resplendence: The sun set in a blaze of glory.
6. The splendor and bliss of heaven; perfect happiness.
7. A height of achievement, enjoyment, or prosperity: ancient Rome in its greatest glory.

So recently as I took a small trip to Hamburg to unwind and work! Well I didn't work really hard. I washed a few dishes and helped out where I could. The fact of the matter is they really didn't need a Kiwi helping out. So I enjoyed the atomosphere and met some of the locals. Cool cool people, I just enjoyed the company... At my session in Bon Lion, Marcel did most of my selling and he liked my drink the P & G( Pomp and Glory) so here is a small poem about the P & G


Its's a simple drink with an elegant twist
It's unique, dignified and praiseworthy

A blend of lemon juice and fino sherry
It's the angostura and elderflower that makes it merry

It is worshiped by too few, and not known by many
It's a simple drink with an elegant twist

With just a hint of orange to bind it together
Stirred in a traditional and time honoured way

It's an ostentatious display of Pomp and Glory


P & G
Stir over ice
30mls Romate fino sherry
20mls St Germain
7mls Fresh Lemon juice
2 dashes of orange bitters
1 drop of angostura bitters
strain into a small cocktail glass about 3oz garnish with a lemon twist

2 comments:

Cirsten Kessler said...

Dear Hayden,
thx for this nice, little poem about the P&G. I am very proud, that I had it (as first guest) at the Bon Lion that magic night in Hamburg! Enjoyed the night and all following cocktails very much! And thx for being a perfect host.

Cheers, Cirsten

Hayden Scott Lambert said...

Cirsten, thank you very much it was my pleasure. I hope you enjoy my poetry...

Hayds