Monday 26 January 2009

Clover leaf

This little poem is about one of my most favourite drinks the Clover Leaf. It is an amazing combination of raspberries and gin. It is some what controversial! Some recipes call for grenadine and the addition of vermouth. My take is Gin,lemon juice, raspberry cordial and egg white, with the addition of a little extra sugar.



It is my belief
That the Clover leaf is a gentle
And sound creature

It's ever changing
From bar to bar, book to book
It's a can of worms, questioned at every turn
The more you read the more you learn

I understand this delicate
And complex creature
With it's pink and white grace
Mint leaf in place

I mix it with gin, old or new
Give me juniper,
Millers, Beefeater, Tanqueray
All of them will do

A lemon firmly squeezed and spent
Raspberries, into a cordial they go
Sugar for my sweet and an egg white
To tightly bind this beautiful brew

I shake it hard, with force
My face, grimaced and tight
I pour it, and gently it flows

With it's frothy nature
It slips like silk from my hand
Into the waiting breast shaped glass
It settles, gently forming
I smack a tiny green leaf
In a tender and playful manner
The aroma released is sweet
I place it with great care
Dead centre and neat
I present to you my Clover Leaf!
Clover Leaf #1
Into a boston add:
50mls Gin (Beefeater)
25mls fresh lemon juice
20mls homemade raspberry cordial
10mls sugar syrup
1 egg white
shake over ice with force and determination
strain into a 7oz cocktail glass and garnish with a small and very green mint leaf.
Clover club is served without the mint leaf.

Clover leaf#2
Into a boston add:
30mls Gin (beefeater)
30mls Nolly Pratt rouge
20mls Fresh lemon juice
15mls Homemade raspberry cordial
2 fresh raspberries
1 egg white
shake over ice with force and determination

strain into a 7oz cocktail glass and garnish with a small and very green mint leaf.

"This is a Hayden Lambert original poem and cannot be reproduced without his permission"

No comments: